Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Siena

Well as I said yesterday, we're now in the beautiful medieval town of Siena and its fantastic. Staying at the soggiorno Sabrina...basically a house where the owner doesnt live. Its the perfect location. Literally a 2 minute walk from the main square, the piazza del campo which is huge and all slopes down from the outside towards the palazzo at the bottom of the square. It was great last night just to sit there in the shade and watch the world go past for a little while.

The other main attraction here is the duomo (cathedral) which looks like it was built for a fairytale or something (somewhat like a gingerbread cathedral). All of the outside is white marble wth fantastic figures and decorations. There's even a black and white striped tower connected to it. Inside is also very impressive. Probably the best of the many, many churches we've seen so far!

To be honest, I'm a little bit churched out now...theres only so many times you can look at statues and paintings of religious scenes and ive reached the end of mine I think. Hopefully there'll be a few less in Florence, Genoa and Milan.

On another note we went up a strange, bridge tower thing which meant you could see right out over Siena and the surrounding Tuscan countryside panoramically, a fantastic site.

I really like this town, very touristy but its easy to see why with its winding little streets which I'm loving ambling along and soaking up the culture. Definately somewhere i could see myself returning in the future!

Tomorrow we're moving onwards to florence where we are again camping similar to rome, although a bit closer to the centre. Think we're going to go to the uffizi (gallery) tomorrow and save the next day for the smaller and more relaxing things!

Ciao

No comments: